The Yeast is on the clock

As the old saying goes "Brewers make wort, yeast make beer."

FERMENTATION

The cooled hopped wort is placed inside large tanks with cone-shaped bottoms called Uni-tanks (photo). Each tank holds 4000 gallons. Here we add our yeast to the hopped wort, which converts the bittersweet liquid into beer. The yeast reacts with the simple sugars in the hopped wort and creates alcohol and carbon dioxide through a natural process known as fermentation. Remember the old saying "Brewers make wort, yeast makes beer".

TIME TAKEN IN THIS STEP: AROUND 1 WEEK

 

CONDITIONING & FILTERING

When the fermentation process is complete, the "young beer" is conditioned to allow the beer to mature. To do this, we lower the temperature of the tanks and begin conditioning the beer for several weeks. This process allows the beer to develop and mature and become what you are drinking today. During this time, the yeast becomes dormant and settles out of the beer collecting at the bottom of the tank. This process can take from 1 to 6 weeks depending on the beer that is being brewed.

The beer is filtered to remove any remaining yeast and large proteins. The clarified beer is known as bright beer because it is not cloudy (we skip this process when making the UFO Hefeweizen). It is then transferred to the bright beer tank.

TIME TAKEN IN THIS STEP: BETWEEN 1 AND 6 WEEKS

BRIGHT BEER TANKS

The bright beer is infused with carbon dioxide. Only about 30% of the carbonation in our beer is produced during fermentation. We add the other 70% at this point in the bright beer tank (photo). This is also where we add the spices to our Winter Warmer.

TIME TAKEN IN THIS STEP: (OVERNIGHT)

  Next: Packaging -->