By: Michelle Palermino, Harpoon Helps Coordinator Published:
Each spring, Boston celebrates Hubweek, a week-long creative festival that celebrates innovation and exciting civic collaboration in Boston and beyond. In 2015, in Hubweek’s spirit of collaboration, Harpoon Brewery partnered with a Newton-based water treatment company named Desalitech to brew a beer with Charles River water. Yes, you read that right: Charles River water. The project showcased three things Massachusetts can truly be proud to call her own: Desalitech’s industry-leading water purification technology, the transformation that the Charles River has undergone in recent years to rise above its former “dirty water” reputation, and, of course… Harpoon Brewery!
This year, Harpoon, Desalitech, and Hubweek are at it again—but with an exciting new twist! Five other breweries have joined Harpoon to brew their own unique versions of a beer using Desalitech-treated Charles River water this year. On Oct 1st, 2016, all six beers will be judged in the “Brew the Charles” competition, the highlight of Hubweek’s Closing Party. Which brewery will create the best beer? That’s for you and a group of local food and beverage experts to decide. Come taste for yourself and vote for the best brew! Click here to find out more, see what other breweries are involved, and to purchase a ticket.
If you can’t make it to the “Brew the Charles” event on October 1st, you’ll still have another chance to try Harpoon’s contribution. This year’s beer, a dandelion wildflower saison, will be on tap in the Harpoon Beer Hall starting on September 25th. For every pint sold in the Harpoon Beer Hall, Harpoon Helps will donate $1 to the Charles River Conservancy. So come on down to the Beer Hall, try something you’ve never tried before, and raise a pint to clean water—and to this amazing city we call home. Cheers!
By: Joe Companion, Harpoon Sales Manager Western Massachusetts Published:
If your ideal weekend includes a day filled with 25 obstacles, a crazy party, and plenty of beer, we’ve got you covered! We’re proud to be the “official beer sponsor” for Rugged Maniac races along the east coast and love greeting finishers with a cold pint!
Rugged Maniac is headed to Southwick, MA for two full days of adventure on September 24th & 25th. As you work on your team costumes and begin to plan out your weekend, we asked our awesome Western MA Sales Manager, Joe Companion, for tips on where to drink Harpoon and UFO, where to eat, and what to do while you’re in the area…
“Southwick and the surrounding towns in Western MA are awesome. Here are some of my favorite spots to enjoy the town – and a Harpoon or UFO!” – Joe
- Tuckers Restaurant – Close to the Rugged Maniac venue, this is the perfect spot to grab a bite to eat with a Harpoon or UFO (of course!) while you’re in town. Located at 625 College Highway in Southwick.
- Nora’s Restaurant - Excellent food and craft beer selection with Harpoon on draft here as well. Located at 106 Point Grove Rd in Southwick.
- Zanto Pizza – Delicious Italian food; this place is a must while you’re here. Located at 587 College Highway Rd Southwick.
- Village Pizza – What’s a weekend with your best friends without pizza?! Make sure to stop by Village Pizza for a delicious pie. Located at 521 College Highway Rd Southwick.
- Breakfast Places-
- Mrs. Murphy’s Donuts – This place is amazing!! Donuts the size of your head! My absolute biggest recommendation! Located at 538 College Highway Rd Southwick.
- Daily Grind Coffee house and Café – Nice café to grab breakfast before the race. Located at 568 College Highway Rd.
- D & J’s Hash House – This hometown family run diner is awesome. All of their food is made from scratch with large portions. Located at 784 College Highway Rd.
- Plan B – Burgers. Beer. Bourbon. What more do you need? Treat yourself to a tasty post-race meal here with a cold pint of UFO White on draft! Located at 1000 West Columbus Avenue Springfield, MA 01105
- Louie B’s – Right on the lake, this is a great outdoor location with Harpoon and UFO available. Located at 101 Point Grove Rd Southwick.
- Sky Box Sports Bar – Fun sports bar with lots of TVs and Harpoon on draft. Located at 25 Point Grove Rd Southwick.
- Crabby Joe’s Bar and Grill – If you love a great bar on the lake with lots of outdoor deck space, Crabby Joe’s is for you! Located at 141 Congamond Rd Southwick.
- Southwick Package – Great Harpoon selection! Located at 466 College Highway Rd.
- Saunders Package- Located at 118 Congamond Rd.
- Oak’n Keg – Located at 20 Point Grove Rd.
Best of Western MA Local Hot Spots:
- The Big E – New England’s largest fair, which also takes place the same weekend as Rugged Maniac. Hello late night food and entertainment!
- Six Flags New England – Because why not add to your already epic weekend?
- The Basketball Hall of Fame – This Springfield icon is home to more than three hundred inductees and more than 40,000 square feet of basketball history.
So, who’s in for Rugged Maniac New England in Southwick, MA?! Friends of Harpoon receive 10% off with the promo code: HARPOON so register today and we’ll see you at the finish line (Saturday is sold out, but Sunday spots are still available!)