Winter Warmer Cooking
By: Tiffani Faison, Chef-Owner Sweet Cheeks Published:
We recently teamed up with Chef Tiffani Faison to produce a series of Winter Warmer Nights at her restaurant Sweet Cheeks in Boston. Aimed at curing the winter blues, the Tuesday night series pairs Harpoon Winter Warmer with some of Tiffani's favorite hearty meals.
We invited Tiffani to share her thoughts about the Winter Warmer season, including a recipe for a cold weather classic. Take it away, Tiffani!
Around this time every year, we all face a similar question; fight or flight. Our collective skin becomes itchy, ashy and grey with demeanor to match. For those of us without wings taking us to warmer lands, we settle into our frozen fates, finding the simple beauty in opportunities to create our own warmth. For me, this is cooking and feeding those I love, adding Harpoon’s Winter Warmer to the mix reminded me that winter, beyond the holidays can still be special.
Among the recipes we have developed with Winter Warmer, our version of Chicken Pot Pie has been a favorite of ours and our guests. When it often feels like the next new thing reigns supreme, nourishment of the familiar (in the form of chicken pot pie) can be a perfect panacea. We made a “restaurant style” version, but a less complicated approach with the same flavors can be easily achieved. Take your time making this, enjoy the process, forgive and embrace the quirks that come with creating something from scratch. It always helps to have a little music and a Harpoon Winter Warmer while you’re cooking.
Winter Warmer Chicken Pot Pie
2 cups cooked chicken
1 cup flour
1 bottle Harpoon Winter Warmer
½ cup plus 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
¼ cup heavy cream (or whole milk)
1 cup chicken stock
2 Tbsp. minced garlic
½ cup sliced leeks
½ cup diced celery
½ cup diced carrots
1 cup button mushrooms
1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
1 tsp. rosemary, chopped
1 package puff pastry or similar for the topping
Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt ½ cup butter, add flour and whisk until smooth. Add chicken stock and Harpoon Winter Warmer, whisk until mixture is smooth bubbly and starting to thicken, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Melt remainder of the butter; add all veggies and herbs, except garlic. Cook veggies and herbs in butter until they start to become soft. Add the garlic and cook until all veggies become translucent and softer.
- In a separate bowl, add veggies and chicken into the sauce. Season to taste.
- Butter the bottom of a baking dish and season liberally with pepper. Add all ingredients to the baking dish, placing puff pastry with small slits on top.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until pie filling is hot and pastry top is golden brown.
About Tiffani Faison: Tiffani is the Chef-Owner of Sweet Cheeks in Boston and a former finalist on Bravo's hit show, Top Chef. Her complete bio can be viewed here.
Photo Credit: Mike Diskin