By: John Ahern, Lead Packaging Operator/ Packaging Published:
Our friends at Web Industries, a fellow ESOP company, shared with us their “Ideas System,” a program for harnessing ideas for improving company performance from each and every employee. The reason behind the Ideas System made a lot of sense: every employee naturally has ideas every day about how to make his or her job easier, better, more efficient.
When we saw the Ideas system in action, we saw employees who were engaged, excited, and enthusiastic. It was obvious from these meetings just how much power there is in having every employee in the company striving for its improvement. And we knew then that this program was something we had to do at Harpoon.
At Harpoon, work teams have always met frequently and shared ideas for improving performance and making employees’ jobs easier, better, more streamlined. Since becoming employee-owned, we formalized this system to make the most of those ideas and celebrate the contributions of our fellow owners. Ideas that get put into practice are showcased on the Ideas Wall in the brewery. This month's employee owner feature comes from our Packaging Department where John Ahern made a small suggestion with huge benefits…
Title and Department: Lead Packaging Operator/ Packaging
Idea: Marking then using old keg caps to diagnose and label defective kegs (Scrap, Re-build, leaker, blown out, VT etc.) prior to stacking on mix pallet.
Benefit: The main benefits are organization and time savings. Saving time while organizing mix pallets in keg yard frees us up to spend more time on priority tasks. Such as preventative line maintenance, cleaning, and continued progress on the tunnel into the John Nagle Fish Company's scallop vault.
Favorite Beer: Once upon a time I'd tell you a "Hop-Squeeze" Hoppy Adventure double IPA with a splash of UFO Big Squeeze Shandy. However, these days when it comes time for a shift beer I am going to make it a good old Harpoon Dark.
By: The Employee-Owners at Harpoon Published:
These tips + your awesomeness = #bestweekendever.
Being our 27th Harpoon Octoberfest, we’ve learned a thing or two. And since we’re friends, here are 10 Harpoon #ProTips to make this year’s Octoberfest the best yet. We’ll see you September 30th and October 1st in Boston and October 8th and 9th in Windsor, VT!
- You’ve heard it before: “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” When you’re going to a beer festival, you will live or die by this statement. #Protip: Eat breakfast/lunch.
- Harpoon Octoberfest is rain or shine. We’re praying for sunshine, but we’ll be celebrating even if it’s pouring. #Protip: Check your weather app and plan your fab fall fashion accordingly.
- Entrance into the festival, beer tickets, and food are cash only. We have ATMs on site but why pay the fee? #Protip: Stop by the ATM before the festival.
- There will probably be lines to get in (in Boston). Even your mean tweets won’t make the lines shorter. Please note: the doors close at 9pm on Friday and 5:30pm on Saturday. #Protip: Get here early. Like really, really early.
- There’s a magical place inside the festival referred to internally as the “back bar”. This truly beautiful place has the same beer as the other two bars, with a fraction of the people. Go there and be free, friends. #Protip: Don’t forget about the 3rd bar.
- We’re all adults right? OK then. For the love of all things holy, please don't throw your cup on the ground and then stomp on it. Just don’t do it. And if you’re reading this and thinking “What kind of monster would do such a thing?!” that’s exactly what we say…every year. #Protip: Refrain from stomping on your plastic souvenir cup, you monster.
- Plan ahead so you can get back to wherever you plan on sleeping, safely. #Protip: Use public transportation or decide on a DD ahead of time.
- Nothing ruins your festival experience like having to go cell phone fishing in a porta potty. It happens every year to a handful of poor souls. Don’t be a statistic. #Protip: Remove your phone from your back pocket before you enter the porta potty.
- You can certainly show up to Harpoon Octoberfest solo, but coming with a group is recommended. They can 1. Tell you when you have mustard on your face, 2. Hold your hand as you weave through the crowd, and 3. Spot you a beer ticket when you’re in need. #Protip: come with friends, preferably your reliable, fun ones.
We love being in the Seaport. And the Seaport loves us. Help us keep the love alive by being respectful when you leave the festival. You want us to keep throwing huge festivals right?! #Protip: Have fun, drink responsibly, follow tip #6, and be respectful of our awesome neighbors.