By: Kathy Pruett, Harpoon Southeast Regional Manager Published:
Since the beginning, Harpoon has strived to be a good neighbor. In 2003, we organized Harpoon’s charitable work under one name: Harpoon Helps. Here at Harpoon, we embrace our charitable arm’s tagline, To Brew & To Serve, by supporting local charities with donations of fresh Harpoon beer and volunteer hours, and by raising thousands of dollars through Harpoon events to aid their efforts.
But sometimes a Harpoon employee truly goes above and beyond in supporting causes on their own. And in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, we invited Kathy Pruett, Harpoon Southeast Regional Manager, to tell her story. She serves on the board of Carolina Breast Friends, a Charlotte, NC non-profit dedicated to supporting women with breast cancer. Meet Kathy and learn more about her involvement with the breast cancer survivor community:
Tell us about Carolina Breast Friends.
Carolina Breast Friends (CBF) is a non-profit organization based in Charlotte N.C., committed to uniting and helping women with breast cancer in all stages of survival. The organization centers around those who want to create a social and educational outlet for women. CBF offers monthly support meetings, wigs/scarves, restorative yoga, reike, and other fun activities that unites sisters and helps them on their cancer journey. Everything is free of charge for our survivors! It is an amazing resource for our survivors, and a great place for quiet respite.
What made you want to support breast cancer survivors and those living with breast cancer?
I was diagnosed with breast cancer in Feb. 2011. I went through chemotherapy, surgery and radiation. The support from family, friends and co-workers was amazing, but being surrounded by other ladies who had done was I was doing, and could provide advice, support, and a lending ear was priceless. I knew soon after my first meeting that I needed to give back and help others through their journey. I am now on the board of directors at CBF and in the role of survivorship advocate/programming Director, and it brings a great sense of purpose to my life.
That’s amazing! How can I help?
You can always make a donation to CBF as we are funded strictly from donations and grants. Please feel free to check out their website www.carolinabreastfriends.org, or their Facebook page.
But you can also make donations to other organizations that help fund the research for finding a cure.
Every 3 minutes a woman is diagnosed with Breast cancer! Be sure to never skip your mammograms and do monthly self-exams, as EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIVES.
You've been with Harpoon for 14 years. What's your favorite beer to enjoy after a long day selling Harpoon?
Harpoon IPA has been and will always be my favorite beer, but Take 5 Session IPA is a close second now. It is great that Harpoon Helps has donated cases of Harpoon to Carolina Breast Friends, so it is nice to be able to enjoy some Harpoon beers with my survivor sisters as well!
Got a question for Kathy? Comment below and we'll get it answered!
By: Merrill Allen, Harpoon Helps Published:
Every year, the Harpoon Helps Grateful Harvest Dinner combines our love of the Thanksgiving meal, delicious seasonal beers, and giving back to our neighbors in need. Proceeds from the dinner in Boston benefit The Greater Boston Food Bank and the dinner at our brewery in Windsor, VT benefit the Vermont Foodbank.
This event has been around for years, and let’s just say we’ve learned a thing or two (example: a second helping of mashed potatoes is always a yes.) Since we’re friends, we wanted to share with you our 10 Harpoon #ProTips to make this year’s Grateful Harvest Dinner the best yet. We’ll see you at the brewery November 8th!
- We’re all about being fashionable, but enjoying a full Thanksgiving meal does tend to make your jeans feel a little tighter. #Protip: Pants with an elastic waistband are encouraged.
- We have some awesome prizes from our sponsors to raffle off. While you will get one raffle ticket when you enter, we know you will want to buy more, and we will be accepting cash only. #Protip: Stop by the ATM before the event.
- We’re closing the brewery early on November 8th to prepare for your arrival which means you’ll have to wait outside briefly before the event. #Protip: Check your weather app and plan your fab fall fashion accordingly.
- Thanksgiving is for family, Friendsgiving is for friends, and Grateful Harvest Dinner is for both! #Protip: Invite your favs (who are 21+) to join you.
- The Grateful Harvest Dinner benefits the Greater Boston Food Bank and the Vermont Food Bank at a time when they need it the most – the holidays. Remember to keep that in mind as you fill up your plate! #Protip: Make sure your eyes and stomach are on the same page so that we keep food waste to a minimum!
- While we host charitable events year-round, we like to call the Grateful Harvest Dinner the kick-off to the season of Harpoon Helps. Stay informed of the latest and greatest Harpoon Helps events this season for e fun opportunities to give back. #Protip: Sign up for the Harpoon Helps newsletter.