By: Liz Melby, Harpoon Communications Director Published:
It may be the smallest state in the US, but Rhode Island sure knows how to pack in a ton of summer fun! From beers on the beach to overlooking lovely Providence, our Lil’ Rhody stop (Aug. 4-6) on the Squeeze the Most Out of Summer Tour made for three BIG fun-filled days. There are plenty of summer days ahead, so even if you weren’t able to join us you can still enjoy all the awesome places to have great beers outside in RI. Here’s how it’s done:
1. Hot Club. With a name like that, need we say more? Yes, because it’s that good. With great views and UFO White on tap, this outdoor bar along the Providence River is the perfect place to meet up with your friends to enjoy the sunset after a long day of work. Watch the riverboats glide by as you soak in the golden afternoon sun…and golden-hued beer.
2. If you need to feel like you’re on a vacation (without spending the money or taking any actual vacation time) head to Paddy’s Beach Club. There’s nothing like drinking a fresh UFO beer with the sand under your feet and the sound of ocean waves on the shore. Right on Misquamicut Beach – and we mean right on the beach – this place is the pinnacle of outdoor drinking establishments. In fact…we want to go to there…right now…
3. One of the best parts about summer in Rhode Island is that there are so many ways to get out and be active. One of our favorite ways? Rent a kayak at the Kayak Centre in Wickford, RI., pack some UFO cans in a cooler, and head to your own private island! After all that kayaking and private island-ing, you’ll surely have worked up an appetite…and more of a thirst. Take a 3-minute drive up the road to the Oak Hill Tavern in North Kingstown for the best BBQ in town. And UFO on tap.
We loved our stop in Rhode Island and know that there are many more adventures to discover. So we’ll be back!
By: Michelle Palermino, Harpoon Helps Coordinator Published:
On the last weekend in July, we set off for the farthest stop on our Squeeze the Most Out of Summer Tour - Austin, Texas. Whether you live in Austin, you’ve had the chance to visit, or you just really want to, this is one of the coolest cities in America. And let me tell you, Austin did NOT disappoint. Pair this amazing place with some delicious UFO beers, and you’re going to have the best weekend of your summer. Here are some things we learned while squeezing the most out of Austin!
- Every city in America needs a Rainey Street. Picture that row of houses (whether it was a street right off your college campus or a favorite spot in your hometown) where you spent WAY too much time in your twenties or thirties. Now, imagine someone gutted all of those houses and turned all of them into actual bars: that’s Rainey Street. You’re constantly at an awesome block party, surrounded by live music and string lights. It’s downright magical.
On our first night in town, we hosted a giant Jenga tournament at the amazing Bangers Sausage House, where we drank UFO Big Squeeze all night. Thank you to Courtney and the whole crew at Banger’s for hosting us! No trip to Austin is complete without a night on Rainey Street, and no night on Rainey Street is complete without a UFO.
- If you aren’t maintaining a perfect UFO:Taco ratio, you’re doing it wrong. Oh, you had 4 UFO beers tonight? You better have eaten 4 tacos today. If you haven’t, go stop by your nearest food truck park, order some tacos, and remedy this immediately.
- If you want to go on an epic bar crawl, you came to the right place. There are tons of great stretches of bars all over town, but we’re partial to West 6th Street, which is prime UFO territory. We hit Little Woodrow’s, Star Bar, Rustic Tap, Key Bar, and Steampunk Saloon, where UFO White and UFO Big Squeeze was flowing all night. Special shout out to Rustic Tap for their UFO Cocktail: UFO White, Deep Eddy vodka, and a splash of lemonade, on ice. If you can’t make it to Rustic Tap, make one at home. You will not be disappointed!
- .There is literally no better way to spend a Saturday in Texas than tubing on the Guadalupe River. We grabbed 50 friends, loaded up a bus with UFO beers, rented a ton of tubes (some for humans and some for coolers), and had the time of our lives. I can personally attest that in 95-degree heat, surrounded by awesome UFO fans, lazily rolling over a few rapids and working on our tans, a UFO R.A.Z. has never tasted quite so good.
Thanks to all the Harpoon and UFO fans that came out with us all weekend-- it was awesome to hang out with you! And to all the bars that served us—thanks for keeping the UFOs flowing so far from home!
We will definitely be back. Until then, Austin, stay weird and wonderful, and keep drinking those UFOs!