By: Harpoon BBQ Fest Veterans Published:
On July 23rd and 24th, barbecue teams from around the country will travel to our brewery in Windsor, VT for the 2016 Harpoon Brewery BBQ Fest. Not only will teams be serving up dishes to be judged, but most will be dishing out loads of brisket, turkey, chicken, ribs, sausage (basically anything that can be BBQ’ed) along with sweet treats for purchase. And of course, we’ll have a wide variety of your favorite Harpoon beers available to help you wash it all down.
This festival is an absolute blast but it’s a lot to take in. So to help you out, we compiled some tips to help you maximize your festival experience:
Prepare your bod: Consider staying away from meat for the week leading up to the festival and focus on filling your plate with fruits and veggies.
- Bring a designated driver: We’ll have plenty of beers on tap for you to enjoy all weekend long. Plan ahead and make sure you have your transportation to and from the festival figured out ahead of time.
- More Friends = More Food: This one seems obvious but the more friends you bring to the festival, the more variety of foods you’ll open your palate too…
- Pace yourself: With 36 barbecue masterminds at the festival, pace yourself. There’s no judgment if you only make it through half!
- Stay hydrated: "Meat Sweats," is a real thing, hopefully, you took tip number 1 seriously. Add a beer or two on top of all that meat and trust us, water will be your best friend.
- Bring an extra shirt, or two: Spills are bound to happen, and being prepared is key. It also doesn’t hurt to change up your appearance to thwart any suspicion that this is your 5th time snagging a sample from the same vendor…
- Leave room for dessert: We know what you’re thinking, just what I need, more food! There will be fried dough, fried candy bars, fried cookies, and pretty much anything non-meat related that can be fried, fried. Some desserts will even be made using our beer!
- Leave your dog at home: Have we mentioned how much meat will be at the festival? That means there will be lots of bones, hot grills, and trash that we’d hate for your dog to get into.
- Take a Tour of the Brewery: We get it: there’s world-class food outside. Just don’t forget that we have world-class beer inside. Let our brewers show you were all the beer magic happens on a guided brewery tour!
- Get Here Early: This is one of our biggest festivals of the year, and while we’ve got plenty of parking, it pays to get to the brewery early for that primo spot. The early bird gets the worm, or in this case, pulled pork BBQ sandwiches the size of your head and more meat than you’ve seen in your entire life.
So there you have it – 10 tips to ensure you have the best weekend ever. If your mouth isn’t watering, you may want to check your pulse!
By: Julia Falk, Digital Marketing Manager Published:
In March, we announced our new summer seasonal offering, Camp Wannamango. Here at the Brewery, we were on cloud nine. We cracked open Camp Wannamango as a company and raved over its crisp, not over the top mango deliciousness, and we couldn’t wait to tell our fans.
But something happened. While most rejoiced with us over the new seasonal, proclaiming it would be their new summer go-to, others were furious. Fans of our former summer seasonal, Summer Beer, let us hear it; Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, email, snail mail (seriously, people wrote us hand written letters), and some even stormed the brewery. Ok, so no one actually stormed the brewery BUT we know some of you thought about it! The point is, we ticked some of you off, and that’s just not cool.
But you see, we knew when we released Harpoon Camp Wannamango that something equally great was coming in May. Cue: Harpoon Sweet Spot.
The 5 stages of Summer Beer Grief is real. But the struggle is over because we’ve added Harpoon Sweet Spot, a Golden Ale very similar to our Summer Kölsch, to our year-round offerings. So no longer are you confined to a mere 3 months of enjoying the style you’ve come to love, you can have it every day….forever.
The 5 Stages of Summer Beer Grief, as told by our Friends of Harpoon:
“I just heard from my local beer store that there will not be a Harpoon Summer this year. I have never been more disappointed in my entire life. Like canceling Christmas! Wow, I don't even know what to say... please tell me this is not true.” Leo, Friend of Harpoon
“Bring back Summer Beer you IDIOTS! You are robbing us all and ruining summer.” - Rory, Friend of Harpoon
“Please, please, please bring back the original seasonal Summer Beer. I’ll do ANYTHING!” – Lisa, Facebook Fan
“What happened to Harpoon Summer? I have been waiting all bloody winter for that taste of sunshine in a can. Tell me it ain't so?!?! Thanks for the memories, this truly is a sad day for me” – Bill, Friend of Harpoon
“You almost let me down Harpoon but you really turned it around. Thanks for Sweet Spot! – Mary, Rejuvenated Friend of Harpoon
Find Harpoon Sweet Spot near you and tell us what you think!