The first annual Harpoon Mac & Cheers Challenge is t-minus two weeks away…or 14 days, 17 hours, 12 minutes, and 43 seconds, but who’s counting? We’re looking forward to eating some delicious Mac & Cheese crafted by the best in Boston, enjoying tasty Harpoon & UFO beers, and loving life outside with all of our beer (and cheese) lovin’ friends! If you’re like us and just can’t wait any longer, try this recipe for Harpoon IPA Mac & Cheese out for size.
Here’s what you need:
- 1 lb dried macaroni
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 six-pack of Harpoon IPA
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Here’s what you do:
1. Once you’ve gotten all of your ingredients together, crack open a bottle of Harpoon IPA. Take a sip. You need something delicious to hold you over while you wait to enjoy the tastiest (and beer-i-est?) mac & cheese recipe out there.
2. On medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour, milk, and whisk together until all lumps are gone. Once the mixture starts to bubble, add 12oz of Harpoon IPA and 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. We used cheese from our friends over at Vermont Farmstead Cheese Co. (which is going to be used in all of the Mac & Cheers dishes... yum!)
3. Get the macaroni started in a separate pot of boiling water.
4. Reduce your IPA cheese mixture to medium-low heat and allow the cheddar cheese to melt completely. Add salt and pepper to taste. Smells irresistible, right? Take another sip of your beer, and we won’t be mad if you have a sample (or two) of the cheese while it's cooking.
5. Once your macaroni is al dente, drain and add it to the cheese mixture. Stir it all together and pour into a separate bowl. Top with more cheese to add that extra kick. Eat. Enjoy. Repeat.