This year's HarpoonFest features 18 local bands! We took some time to talk with one featuring a Harpooner, Matt DiPietro of bloom. Check out the interview below to learn more about the band and what's getting them excited for this year's HarpoonFest. ]
- How did bloom. start?
- A: Torre and I met working in the Harpoon Beer Hall. We started right around the same time roughly two years ago and quickly became friends when we realized we shared a similar taste in music (…and beer). We joked about maybe starting a band someday, until eventually I told him I wanted to record a few songs and I wanted him to be a part of it. So we went to his brother’s studio, recorded five songs and instantly fell in love with what we were doing. That’s when we became bloom.
- What makes you excited about performing at HarpoonFest?
- A: The first festival we actually worked together was HarpoonFest back in 2016. We were pouring beers next to each other when I finally broke the ice and told him I’d been a follower of his most recent band. We laughed and talked about music for the entire rest of the day. So to actually go back and play where it all started for us seems very surreal. We’re also excited because it’s the first festival we have yet to play as a band, and it will be fun to be up on the stage where we watched so many other bands have the fortune of playing.
- Your go-to beer while (after??) you perform?
- A: I can speak for both of us when I say that our go-to beer is Harpoon Juicer. We both love New England-style IPAs, a bond that has truly been at the center of our friendship since the beginning. When we practice, we’re usually drinking these hazy, hop-forward IPAs.
- Anything else you want to tell us about bloom.
- A: You can follow us anywhere @bloombandma and find our 5-song EP “Take Time To Find” on all music platforms! We play on Friday, May 18th of HarpoonFest, and we hope to see you there. Cheers!
Come see bloom. and other local musicians at HarpoonFest 2018. Presale tickets are available now!
Friday, May 18th
5:30-11:00pm; doors close at 9:30pm
Saturday, May 19th
1:00-7:00pm; doors close at 5:30pm