By: Erin Grigsby, Anchor Leg Coaching & Harpoon Brewery Published:
Here at Harpoon we are all about loving beer and loving life. That’s why we are the proud beer sponsor of various road races like the Newport 10-Miler, Reach the Beach Relay, Rugged Maniac 5Ks, and more! To help get you get excited and ready for your upcoming race(s), our friends from Gray Matter Marketing asked Erin Grigsby from Anchor Leg Coaching to share some road race training tips. So read on and get pumped! And don’t forget Harpoon’s #1 training rule: Every run deserves a great beer. We can’t wait to see you at the finish line of one of our sponsored races!
So you’ve signed up for a long distance race and have been putting in miles of training to get prepared! Don’t let your excitement for training for a longer distance turn into worry and apprehension. Here are five tips to help you keep your running confidence.
- Long Runs at Conversation Pace: You have begun to build up your distance and mileage. This is a great accomplishment! You need to make sure your long runs are at a “conversation pace”. The easiest way to determine this is to run slow enough so that you can carry on a conversation. If you're running with someone, that means you should be able to speak in complete sentences, not just give "yes" or "no" answers. If you're running alone, you should be able to sing "Happy Birthday" without gasping for air.
- 10 Minute Rule: When I am struggling to get myself out of the door for my runs I give myself the “10 minute rule.” When you don’t feel like running, give it ten minutes. You owe it to yourself to at least try for that short period of time. Most people find once they start running, they want to keep going and finish their run!
- Chunk Long Runs into Smaller Pieces: Instead of looking at the long run number as one whole piece, break it up to help it seem more manageable. If you have a 6 mile long run, break it up into your mind as two 3-mile runs. This will help put your mind at ease and make it seem more controllable.
- Stay Hydrated: You need to practice staying hydrated before, during, and after your runs. You will need water! Rehearse carrying and drinking water during your training; make this a habit long before race day.
- Reward Yourself: Goal setting and achieving those goals needs to be fun! You are accomplishing lots of goals when training for a longer distance race. Make a list of the things you might be motivated by and see how they fit into your goals. When you reach a goal, whether it is a little one or a big one, why not give yourself a reward!
Any questions? Contact Erin Grigsby at firstname.lastname@example.org!
By: Harpoon Brewery Published:
There are a lot of things that you have to do every day, so we brewed a beer to help you get to the things you want to do. Please join us in welcoming our newest year-round Harpoon beer –Harpoon Take 5 Session IPA! Vibrant citrus and pine hop aromatics greet a distinct malt profile that sets this Session IPA apart. Clocking in at 4.3% ABV, Take 5 is just the excuse you need to round up your friends and break for some fun.
But don’t just take our word for it. Be one of the first to try it at a Take 5 Kickoff near you!
Check ‘em out:
- Carrie Nation - Boston, MA 5/18
- British Beer Company - Walpole, MA 5/19
- Uno’s – Springfield, MA, 5/20
- Jame's Gate - Jamaica Plain, 5/21
- The Mission - Boston, 5/21
- The Corner Pub - Boston, MA 5/21
- Five Horses Tavern - Boston, MA 5/21
- Dockside Chelsea – Chelsea, MA 5/21
- Olde Magouns – Somerville, MA 5/21
- Christopher's - Cambridge, MA 5/21
- Jacob Wirth – Boston, MA 5/27
- Beantown Pub - Boston, MA 5/28
- Coolidge Corner Clubhouse - Boston, MA 5/28
- Telegraph Hill - Boston, MA 6/11
- Max's Taphouse - Baltimore, MD 5/27
- Community Oven – Hampton, NH, 5/21
- Thirsty Moose Dover – Dover, NH 5/21
- Radloff’s Cigar Shop & On the Rox Lounge – Rochester, NH 5/22
- Lilac City Grille – Rochester, NH 5/27
- Barcade – Jersey City, NJ 5/21
- Tyler's Taproom - Durham, NC 5/22
- Barcade – Philadelphia, PA 5/21
- G Pub – Providence, RI, 5/20
- Windsor Station - Windsor, VT 5/20
Be sure to check out the event details – most launch parties include the first beer on us for Friends of Harpoon! Not a friend? Take 5 and become a Friend of Harpoon today!