By: Harpoon Octoberfest Road Race Team Published:
Work up an appetite for our 14th annual Harpoon Octoberfest by kicking up your heels at the Harpoon Octoberfest Road Race on Sunday, October 9th at the brewery! This scenic 3.6 (hilly!) race benefits The Friends of Norris Cotton Cancer Center and captures all the beautiful fall foliage Windsor, Vermont has to offer. Being around thousands of beer loving athletes is awesome but what makes this race even more amazing is the creativity runners put into their race day costumes. To give you some inspiration, here’s our top 10 favorite costumes from over the years. Think you can do better? Prove it! Register to run today!
1. Although the outfit affected her stride, we think the result was well worth it.
2. I think we can all agree that adding a Viking helmet to just about any outfit is an instant upgrade.
3. Couples that Oompah together, stay together.
4. Don’t let traditional gender norms limit your creativity!
5. Nothing adds a warm fall touch like a good flannel (and corduroy adult overalls).
6. Many, many bottle caps were harmed during the creation of this outfit. Rest assured, no beer was wasted.
7. We’re not sure what association chickens have with Octoberfest. And we don’t care. One can only hope to look half as cool as these chick magnets.
8. Whether you participate by camel or your own two feet, be sure you are ready to finish in style.
9. This runner certainly knows a stylish Harpoon dry-fit is the best option for a sunny day.
10. These Harpoon Heroes look ready for their favorite Fall seasonal offering. Bring on the Octoberfest!
By: John Ahern, Lead Packaging Operator/ Packaging Published:
Our friends at Web Industries, a fellow ESOP company, shared with us their “Ideas System,” a program for harnessing ideas for improving company performance from each and every employee. The reason behind the Ideas System made a lot of sense: every employee naturally has ideas every day about how to make his or her job easier, better, more efficient.
When we saw the Ideas system in action, we saw employees who were engaged, excited, and enthusiastic. It was obvious from these meetings just how much power there is in having every employee in the company striving for its improvement. And we knew then that this program was something we had to do at Harpoon.
At Harpoon, work teams have always met frequently and shared ideas for improving performance and making employees’ jobs easier, better, more streamlined. Since becoming employee-owned, we formalized this system to make the most of those ideas and celebrate the contributions of our fellow owners. Ideas that get put into practice are showcased on the Ideas Wall in the brewery. This month's employee owner feature comes from our Packaging Department where John Ahern made a small suggestion with huge benefits…
Title and Department: Lead Packaging Operator/ Packaging
Idea: Marking then using old keg caps to diagnose and label defective kegs (Scrap, Re-build, leaker, blown out, VT etc.) prior to stacking on mix pallet.
Benefit: The main benefits are organization and time savings. Saving time while organizing mix pallets in keg yard frees us up to spend more time on priority tasks. Such as preventative line maintenance, cleaning, and continued progress on the tunnel into the John Nagle Fish Company's scallop vault.
Favorite Beer: Once upon a time I'd tell you a "Hop-Squeeze" Hoppy Adventure double IPA with a splash of UFO Big Squeeze Shandy. However, these days when it comes time for a shift beer I am going to make it a good old Harpoon Dark.