By: Liz Melby, Harpoon Helper Published:
April is a wonderful time in Boston, and here at the brewery we have always eagerly anticipated the many great things going on in the city this time of year. But as we approach the anniversary of the Boston Marathon tragedy, we move into April with heavy hearts as the events of last year remain very fresh in our minds. While so much has changed for us this past year, much also remains the same. We love this city, our hometown. We love the Boston Marathon. We will forever toast this wonderful event, a true symbol of courage and resolve. We’ll cheer on the runners who have been training for months throughout this unrelenting winter, and we’ll toast their loved ones who have supported them all along. We’ll proudly rally behind our colleagues, Jessie Cox and Jon Schwartz, who will be running 26.2 this year. Most importantly, we’ll do our part to honor the victims of last year’s tragedy.
On April 15th we will host a Brewed for Boston Night at our beer hall in Boston to raise funds for The Stepping Strong Fund. And on Marathon Monday, Harpoon Helps will make a $1 donation to the Stepping Strong Fund for every Harpoon IPA purchased at participating bars and restaurants along the Boston Marathon route. This fund holds special significance for us, as Gillian Reny and her family have been close friends with Harpoon’s co-founder Rich Doyle and his family for many years.
Our hearts and minds are and always will be with the city of Boston, especially this time of year. Here’s to our hometown.
By: Julia Falk, Digital Marketing Published:
You can tell a lot about somebody from the way they prefer their PB & J. What’s their peanut butter to jelly ratio? White or wheat? Creamy or Crunchy? Jam or Jelly? Whole, rectangle, or triangle? Personally, I’m a 60/40 J to PB, wheat, creamy, rectangle, beer jam type of lady. That’s right, beer jam. In honor of PB & J Day, I took my go to lunch sandwich up a notch, and whipped up some homemade UFO Raspberry Hefeweizen Jam. The scent of fresh raspberries in this beer hits the nose immediately, along with a subtle bready aroma from the wheat and yeast; it’s a perfect addition to the classic PB & J.
I’m not sure what my PB & J style says about me, but the next time a co-worker walks by and chuckles at my seemingly pathetic sandwich, the joke's on them!
UFO Raspberry Hefeweizen Jam
- 1 cup UFO Raspberry
- 1 1/2 pints fresh raspberries
- 1 cup sugar (more or less depending on your preferred level of sweetness)
- 2 tbs. fresh lemon juice
- Reduce the UFO Raspberry in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. About 15 minutes.
- While the UFO Raspberry reduces, combine the berries with the sugar and mash. Add as much sugar as you like to taste. I like mine a little on the tart side. Using a fork, gently mash until no full raspberries remain.
- Add the berries to the UFO Raspberry, add lemon juice, and cook over medium heat until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir regularly to keep the mixture from bubbling.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use. Enjoy!