By: Jordan McMillan, Digital Marketing Published:
With the Polar Vortex still in full swing here in New England, chili is my go to meal. Beer is also my go to beverage (I work at Harpoon after all). So why not combine the two? It would just be plain selfish not to share this delicious Harpoon IPA Chili recipe with you. Plus, the timing couldn’t be better; it’s National Chili Day tomorrow! Bring it on Polar Vortex…
Harpoon IPA Turkey Chili
- 2lb. Ground dark turkey meat (or ground beef)
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 Jalapeño
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Green Pepper
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 28oz can San Marzano tomatoes crushed
- 1 28oz can fire roasted tomatoes whole or crushed is fine just break up in pot
- 1 packet of chili mix (I used a spicy chili mix)
- 1 14oz can kidney beans
- 1 14.oz can pinto beans
- 1 14.oz can black beans
- 2 12oz Harpoon IPAs
- Crack open 1 Harpoon IPA to enjoy while you’re cooking!
- Chop the onion and garlic and sauté in half of a Harpoon IPA (can/bottle) over medium heat in a large stock pot until it is soft
- Add the ground meat to the stock pot in 2 batches until it is browned
- Add the tomatoes, peppers, jalapeño and the rest of the Harpoon IPA and cook over med heat until heated through.
- Drain the beans and add to the stock pot.
- Then add the seasoning packet.
- Stir in and simmer over low heat for at least an hour.
- Check it occasionally to make sure it isn't sticking or burning.
- Enjoy with avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro or tortilla chips. And another Harpoon IPA of course!
By: Julia Falk, Digital Marketing Published:
A recent trip out west brought two things to my attention: it’s freezing here in New England and I need more fish tacos in my life. These Harpoon Beer Battered Fish Tacos, made with The Long Thaw White IPA, were inspired from The Cooking Drunk on Instagram, and they are the perfect meal to help you escape, at least mentally, the winter cold.
The mild bitterness from the hops, citrus flavors from the orange peel, and spiciness from the coriander, make for an excellent beer batter. This beer won’t be around all year long so enjoy it for all its greatness while you can!
#TheLongThaw Beer Battered Fish Tacos
Recipe adapted from The Cooking Drunk
Makes 8 tacos
- 1 pound white fish
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 ½ flour
- 1 cup cabbage mix,
- 1 12oz bottle of Harpoon The Long Thaw White IPA (original recipe called for a bottle of UFO Hefeweizen)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 limes quartered
- 1 cup corn oil
- 1 avocado
- your favorite hot sauce/tomatoes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Crema: Combine heavy cream, mayo and lime. Whisk until smooth and consistent.
- Slice fish filets in ¾ inch strips. Season fish with salt and 1 tsp chili powder. Then toss in ½ flour.
- In a separate dry pan, heat tortillas one by one on each side until slightly toasted. Place in a warm bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Heat oil in medium sized frying pan to 350 f. Combine 1 cup flour with one 12 oz Harpoon The Long Thaw White IPA and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Coat fish strips in batter and fry until golden brown. Remove from oil and place on a paper towel. Sprinkle with salt and chili powder to finish.
- Place 1 to 2 strips of fish to a tortilla. Add a small pile of cabbage, a pinch of cilantro, and avocado. Serve with a quarter of a lime for each taco.