By: Harpoon Brewery Employee Owners Published:
Our motto, “Love Beer. Love Life.” embodies our pride in not only brewing great beer but enjoying the experiences that get paired with it. It’s meant to be open to interpretation because we know that “Love Beer. Love Life” possibilities are endless. As you can imagine, Harpoon is comprised of all types of different personalities. But one thing is for sure, every single one of us eat, sleep, and bleed #LoveBeerLoveLife!
We asked some Harpooners what Love Beer. Love Life means to them. Get inspired and share your own Love Beer. Love Life. moments with us at www.lovebeerlovelife.com.
Bruce Bickford, Mid Atlantic Sales Manager, Sales
Years at Harpoon: 5
Every summer since I was born my family has rented the same lake house for all of our cousins, aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews to enjoy vacation together like we did when we were kids. If we finish dinner early enough we all pile into the boat (except my dad the "island purist") and watch the sunset behind the swaying pine trees farther up the channel. "Love beer. Love life." is enjoying long standing family traditions with great beer in hand, and our family dog, Sadie!
Favorite Beer: The Long Thaw White IPA
Jessie Cox, Director of Harpoon Helps and Promotions
Years at Harpoon: 13.5
It’s hard to pin down one way to love beer love life. For me, loving beer goes hand in hand with loving life. When I'm having beers with friends, even just a few of us, any setting becomes an event, creating memories and bringing people together. I like to enjoy life by being active and being with friends, which lately is by watching football, skiing, and the occasional 5k run. Also relaxing on a lake/ocean. If I can enjoy beers outside, I'm happy
Favorite Harpoon Beer: Harpoon Take 5
Liz Melby, Director of Communications, Marketing
Years at Harpoon: 17
Some of my family and friends think I’m a little competitive, but I don’t think so…I really just love to play games. Spending time huddled around a Scrabble board with my friends (and beers), playing bocce at my family’s lake cabin in MN with my sisters (and beers), or dealing a few rounds of Pitch with my dad (and beers), is the epitome of “Love Beer. Love Life” to me. Playing games forces us to stop and spend some quality time together – but in a fun way. Or maybe it’s just my way of forcing my family and friends to hang out with me…..Well, either way, I love playing games (with beers). Especially when I win (just kidding!).
Favorite Beer: Harpoon IPA all the way!
Julia Falk, Digital Marketing Manager
Years at Harpoon: 3
Nothing says Love Beer. Love Life more than an impromptu summer roof top party. I live a couple blocks from the beach in Southie, so after sun burning over one too many games of Spikeball, we usually head up to my roof top for beers, music (that's probably too loud), and games. Imagine bottomless guac, funnfetti dip (Google it), coolers full of Harpoon, and my partner in crime, Hambone. Friends bring friends and it's a hodgepodge of some of the most interesting/random people all brought together by beer. Just a bunch of weirdos loving beer and loving life!
Favorite Harpoon Beer: Hoppy Adventure
Mike Fraioli, Regional Sales Manager for Southern New England, Sales
Years at Harpoon: 8.5
It’s summer in Rhode Island
We’re heading south
Destination, Point Judith
And then through the sound
Board the big boat
No booze ‘till we cruise
Post up on the top deck
Harpoon IPA cans very soon
lt’s an hour long trip
‘Till we hit the Block
Empties are adding up
Hoping they don’t run out of stock
Dock in Old Harbor
Grab our gear and go
Walk across to the National
IPA on draft, taking in the show
Beautiful shoreline, bustling town
The Block is in full swing
Feel the wind from the ocean
This day is already a win
Next stop, The Spring House
Hearing distant waves find land
The island’s best view just got better
With a UFO White in hand
To close out the sun
We fire up a clambake on the beach
Take 5 with great friends
Summer is still well within reach
Sure, there have been tougher days
We’ve all had to pay the price
But not today on Block Island
Favorite Harpoon Beer: My next one…
By: Kathy Pruett, Harpoon National Accounts Manager - South Region Published:
If you haven’t heard by now, our Get Rugged with UFO contest is in full swing! We’re giving away a chance to win an all-expenses-paid trip for 4 to a 2016 Harpoon-sponsored Rugged Maniac of your choice (11 cities to choose from!). You enter a team of four, and the team with the most votes by April 15th wins!
To help make your decision a little easier for which Rugged to go to, we’re highlighting one Rugged host city each week with all of our favorite hangout spots - from bars, to restaurants, to local activities.
Rugged kicks off near Charleston, South Carolina in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina on 3/12. To find out a little more about all the awesomeness that Charleston has to offer, we asked our National Accounts Manager - South Region, Kathy Pruett, for tips on where to drink Harpoon, where to eat, and what to do…
Charleston is an awesome city – it’s a beautiful, historical place with loads of charm. Here are some of my favorite spots to enjoy the city – and a Harpoon:
- Burns Alley – be warned, no food is served here, but it’s a great late night drinking spot for the locals!
- Tommy Condon’s – hands down the best Irish Pub in Charleston.
- Charleston Beer Works – who’s hungry for a burger of the month paired with your favorite Harpoon beer?! Yup, us.
- Bay Street Biergarten – if you’re looking for an awesome drinking experience, you can’t miss this place. They’ve combined the communal atmosphere of a traditional German Biergarten with select tap table booths and communal tap tables so you can pour your own beer. While sitting down for dinner.
- Mellow Mushroom – “pie town USA,” need we say more? Save room for dessert - the honey knots are to die for!
- Fig – they work with local farmers and growers to source only the best products for their menu. Delicious!
- Hanks – voted best seafood in Charleston for 15 consecutive years.
- Slightly North of Broad – locally sourced food with excellent wine.
- Liberty Tap Room – Mount Pleasant’s best beer and burger bar, and they mean it!
- Closed for Business – if you’re looking for variety in both your food and beer, try Closed for Business, featuring Charleston’s best selection of unusual, rare and one-of-a-kind beers from SC and beyond.
- King Street Grill – if you’re craving a bottle of Harpoon IPA with good bar food, this is your place.
- High Cotton – BEST. BRUNCH. EVER.
- Cypress- great cocktails & awesome apps in upstairs bar.
Best of Charleston Local Hot Spots:
- Isle of Palms Beach – miles of beautiful oceanfront fun.
- Old South Carriage Company – See the city’s charming historic district and attractions best seen by carriage tour.
- Charleston City Market – spend an entire day in this Charleston landmark, meeting locals, shopping for great souvenirs and enjoying local cuisine all in one spot!
- Fort Sumter National Monument – History buff? Visit where the American Civil War began!
- Arthur Ravenel Bridge – take a leisurely walk or run on this beautiful bridge that connects Charleston and Mount Pleasant. Not recommended for anyone scared of heights.
So, who’s in for a trip to South Carolina?! Head to ufobeer.com and enter for a chance to win a trip!